Saturday, April 23, 2011

Big Bear Lake for Easter Sunday

I pulled off the trail today to go to worship on Easter Sunday.  I have extra time on my hands, so I thought the opportunity could not be passed.

Spring continues to erupt throughout southern California, and a friend of mine reminded me of the significance of this time through the words of Martin Luther who said: "Our Lord has written the promise of resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf of spring time."  Of course the resurrection of Christ is central in the promise, but it is the 'ordinary' things in life that remind me of that great gift.  Yes, even the small, but colorful phlox ring out resurrection, even in a seemingly barren, desert landscape.

I am staying at the Big Bear Hostel here in Big Bear Lake, California.  I have the whole place to myself!  A hiker named Ari was here earlier today, but he left the trail to go to Los Angeles, and eventually to the Grand Canyon.  He said he could not handle the southern California desert sections, and was tired of the exposed sections of the trail.  I was puzzled to understand why he was leaving the trail, as I am really enjoying the desert environs.

I head out tomorrow after Sunday services.  I only have another 56-miles to hike by Wednesday morning, so I still have time to kill.  Therefore, I purchased a pair of hand loppers, and I will do some maintenance on the trail as I hike.  I thought I might as well take care of some of those stupid branches that cause us hikers to stumble or get caught in our eyelids.

Happy Easter everyone!

2 comments:

Jason said...

That's a great Luther quote. I hope you have a wonderful Easter. Feliz Páscoa.

Chris "Freefall" Sanderson said...

Thanks Jason. Happy Easter to you.