Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Off the Appalachian Trail... Being FED on the Pacific Crest Trail

Found and Freefall at Elk Park (19E)
I finished my 400-mile stretch on the Appalachian Trail on April 3rd, so I could fly to California for an interview with the Pacific Crest Trail Association.  I am happy to be off the AT.

There are things that I really appreciate about the Appalachian Trail, but I am resolved that the trail is brutal on the knees, hips, ankles, and every joint below the torso... seriously.  The tread on the AT is rocks, roots, log steps, and mud.  I am not sure the trail has to be that way.  I think there must be a culture of machismo among the trail clubs that leave the trail in such a state of... blech!

I am now on the Pacific Crest Trail, and I am enjoying that better tread, grades, and weather.  The PCT is a hiker's trail.  Distant views are abundant along the trail, there's a sense of wilderness, and at this time of year, there's nobody out here.  I have this trail all to myself - it's a great feeling!

Abundant views are on the Pacific Crest Trail!
I just finished hiking Section F (Walker Pass to Hwy 58), and I am taking a day off in Tehachapi to rest.  I hobbled into town with an ingrown toenail, which I removed last night (don't ask!).  I also discovered a tick under my armpit while I was showering last night.  How long had that thing been there?  Due to a bad childhood memory, I absolutely hate ticks.  Anyway, that problem has been resolved too.

I am looking to also hike section E and D while I am out here.  Section E travels through the western arm of the Mojave Desert, which should be nice due to cooler temperatures.  Section D travels through the San Gabriels and up over Mt. Baden Powell, which should be adventurous.  A little bird told me that Section D might be closed due to a previous fire, so I may end up doing Section C instead.  I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Hike on!

1 comment:

Breeze said...

Freef! Looking forward to seeing you at kick off! Really wish I was hiking with you right now...