Thursday, March 31, 2011

Out of the Rain! Into Uncle Johnny's Hostel!

Found Hiking in Mist
As I write this post, it is raining cats and dogs outside. Right now, the southeast is just a big wet, muddy mess. The skies have been gray for 5 out of the last 6 days, and everything is just plain damp. This the the cold, wet AT that I signed up for!

When I started out on this hike, I was stunned by the nice, sun-filled skies. Temperatures were in the 60's and 70's, and I remember thinking to myself, hmmmmmm... it seems like the weather should be really crappy at this time of year. Well, it's now really, really crappy.

On top of Big Firescald Knob
Nonetheless, I had one really nice day between Hot Springs and Erwin, and I took advantage of it - I took a lot of pictures, and hiked a 20-mile day.  In spite of shifting rocks under foot, Big Firescald Knob had great views of the low country (and perhaps Knoxville) to the east and the Blue Ridge to the west.  It was an awesome day to be outside!

I have been hiking with Found (PCT 2006, CDT 2010) since Georgia, and I really enjoy his company.  What's interesting about our hiking relationship is that we are both interviewing for the same job with the Pacific Crest Trail Association.  How crazy is that?  One thing that I have discovered on these long distance trails is that it is a small world.  I have run into many hikers that I know (or hikers that I've heard of) on the trail over the years, so may be it's not so surprising.  While we may be competitors for the same job, we are companions out here on the trail.  I like that.
There was no view down to the Nolichucky River

I have only 50-miles to go before I am finished with this odyssey on the trail.  This next section of trail includes Big Hump and Little Hump, and Roan Mountain, which I remember being very scenic.  However, it looks like the weather will continue to rain over the next few days, so I am not guaranteed any sweeping views.  I will be getting off at Elk Park on Sunday, where I will meet up with my friend and 2009 CDT hiking companion, Patch.  I look forward to our meeting.

I am happy to be out on the trail, and I will check back in soon!

6 comments:

DesertCactus said...

Wet and wild, huh? What a life! Keep it between the ditches.

DesertCactus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris "Freefall" Sanderson said...

After Uncle Johnny's it turned snowy and cold. Such is the life of being a thru-hiker!

gvmama said...

What sort of wildlife (other than two legged) have you seen?

gvmama said...

What sort of wildlife (other than two legged) have you seen?

Chris "Freefall" Sanderson said...

Hey gvmama,

Birds were flocking in full force. I noticed more tweeting (not the social media kind!) as spring broke into the southern Appalachians. I saw a few deer in the Smokies, squirrels were everywhere, and one night, I had a mouse in my tent. That's about it on wildlife.