Monday, May 21, 2012

Pacific Crest Trail Section D: Day 1

Introduction

View North Toward Mill Creek Summit
When I thru-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) in 2003, I blazed through sections of which I have little recollection. Since that time, I have been revisiting the PCT, and hiking sections to rekindle my love affair with this trail, relive memories of 2003, and get a better in-depth experience of a section. Recently, I hiked a 77-mile (or 75?) section of trail from Mill Creek Summit to Cajon Pass.

I had hoped to hike this section last year when I did sections F and E, but it was closed. In 2009, the Station Fire, one of largest wildfires in California history, scorched large portions of San Gabriel Mountains in the Angeles National Forest, and forced all 2010 thru-hikers to walk roads from the Wrightwood to Agua Dulce - that must have sucked.

The highlight of this section is without a doubt, the climb up Mt. Baden-Powell, whose snow-covered north slopes can pose a formidable challenge to the early season hiker - I will mention more about that later!  This section also presents the opportunity to take a side route and climb Mount San Antonio (Mt. Baldy), the highest peak in the San Gabriel Mountains.

Day 1 Mill Creek Summit to Winston Spring - 19-Miles

Mill Creek Summit is near the epicenter of the fire, and it's shaded picnic area was completely destroyed. A new new restroom facility stands naked at this exposed road crossing, surrounded by barren slopes, denuded from the fire. This was my starting point.

wildflowers emerge from station fire burn
Wildflowers Emerge From Station Fire Burn
The PCT climbs gently but steadily along slopes, which used to be filled with manzanita, chamise, and Our Lord's Candle (Mojave Yucca).  Now Poodle Dog Bush, which can cause skin irritations for many brushing against it, grows abundantly along the trail, protecting the soil from erosion.  Occasionally, the trail darts under the cover of pines, whose dark, charred remains provide little escape from the high sun.

After climbing toward the top of Pacifico Mountain, the fire damage becomes less noticeable. Sweeping views to the east reveal the expanse of the Mojave Desert, and to the north, the fire damage along the slopes of Mount Gleason.

Descending Pacifico Mountain, I returned to the chaparral that I was familiar with from my 2003 thru-hike. Near Sulphur Springs campground, I refilled my water bottles with water I had to take a chance on. Unfortunately, the part B bottle of my Aqua-Mira sprung a leak, leaving me without water purification. Yep, I'd be dipping and sipping the rest of this hike!

Sunset in San Gabriels
The trail meandered to my first crossing of the Angeles Crest Highway at Three Points. For many northbound hikers, Three Points represents the last of many crossings over this scenic highway.  From Three Points, the Pacific Crest Trail parallels the highway, which is occasionally hidden by a hillside or below an escarpment.  I found the highway to be a nuisance because of the occasional engine noise from cars and the proliferation of garbage, which seems to drift toward the edge of the trail. I wish the trail would take a different route away from the highway. Ugh.

From Three Points, the PCT joins up with the Silver Moccasin National Recreation Trail, a 53-mile long hike that is popular among boy scouts seeking their Silver Moccasin Trail badge.  I hiked about a mile beyond Three Points to a small rill, where I retrieved water, and cooked a macaroni and cheese meal.  Continuing on, I passed Camp Glenwood, a rustic looking camp, equipped with a couple pit toilets, and made camp about a mile north of Cloudburst Summit. I found a nice flat spot, and conveniently tied my food up on a single, low transmission line hovering over my campsite.  I laid down, and let the sound of a gentle flow of water through Cloudburst Canyon lull me to sleep.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice post. most helpful information for backpacker like me.

http://rucksackbest.blogspot.com/