Sunday, September 7, 2008

First Night in Oregon

Saturday August 31st

I am back on the trail! However, I am not quite on the PCT. I am camped out right next to Little Crater Lake, but it is a relief to be camping out here in the Oregon woods. I will say that I am already a little lonely, but I am sure to meet up with other hikers tomorrow.

Neighbor J picked me up at the airport in Portland around 5:00. He arrived with Phantom (AT 01, PCT 05) in a borrowed Isuzu SUV with a canoe strapped to the top. we loaded up my gear and quickly made our way towards Mt. Hood, only stopping to pick up a few last-minute supplies. Neighbor J said that he was meeting up with Tourist (PCT section hiker 2007) and her friend, Sweet Pea (Amy) up at Timberline Lodge, and he asked if I was interested in joining them for supper. "Why not?" I replied.

When we arrived at Timberline, the temperatures were bitterly cold (and a sign of things to come!), so we rushed to get inside. Just as we walked in, we met up with Tourist and Sweet Pea, and we went upstairs to grab food and talk trail, which I have not done for a while. Over supper, I learned that Tourist and Sweet Pea had over the course of their hiking camped out with a group of former ex-cons, whom they said were really cool. Tourist also talked up a storm and entertained us singing "REI" to the tune of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song." It was awesome.

Time got away from us, and we realized that we needed to get out of Timberline, so I could get out on the trail and Neighbor J could return the SUV he had borrowed.  After saying our goodbyes, we walked outside, and noticed that there was a layer of snow on the cars in the parking lot.  Snow!  This is August 30th! Anyway, we boogied down to the car and took off.

As we descended, the snow turned into a light rain, and as we drove further, the skies began to clear.  After about a half hour trip, we pulled into the Little Crater Lake Campground area and found the trailhead.  

The weather is milder down here at Little Crater Lake, and there is not a cloud in the sky. It is very quiet out here, and I must admit that I am not used to it. Living in San Francisco has got me so used to consistent noise, and when I don't have it, it makes me feel that loneliness I had expressed earlier.  

Off to bed.  I have a full day ahead of me tomorrow.

No comments: