Friday, November 16, 2007

Who is really crazy?

Whenever someone finds out that I have hiked the Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails, the reaction is one of bewilderment and curiosity.  "You did what?  How did you take all that time off?  Did you go alone?" are the usual questions I hear along with "Did you see any bears?  What about snakes?"  Occasionally, people have told me that I am crazy for having done all this hiking.

Distance hikers (or thru-hikers) do not lack reason or rationale.  Instead, what they possess is a logical response to the crazy overworked masses in this country.

Some people I have met complain about being tired all the time.  When I ask why they are tired, their response goes something like this: "I worked 11-hours yesterday, went out for drinks, stayed out till 1:00 am and got up at 6:00 am this morning."  I'm sorry, but this kind of lifestyle is really what is crazy to me.  I believe that so many people lack balance in their lives, and it affects their health, countenance and relationships.  

Thru-hiking (and other activities like it) is that voice crying out in the wilderness calling for change in the way we conduct our lives.  Take time out of your life.  Enjoy what this world has to offer and your relationships with others.  Take a walk, or if hiking is not your forte, go row, bike, climb, write or knit.  Whatever!

Work is important, but it should not possess our lives to the detriment of our health and well-being.  Take a hike!

2 comments:

lena z said...

I'm impressed! i love walking (which is like hiking in SF!). I'd love to find out great hiking spots in the area.

Kyla Calvert said...

A friend of mine hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2003 and I am always a little regretful that I didn't take the opportunity to just take the six months out of my life and go with him. He met great people and had an amazing time.