Sunday, April 27, 2008

10th Annual ADZPCTKO

I just got back from the Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off (ADZPCTKO), which went very smoothly.

Attending this year's event was Eric Ryback, who is recognized as the first to backpack the Pacific Crest Trail in 1970. Eric did for the PCT what Earl Schaffer did for the Appalachian Trail: inspired countless hikers to attempt a thru-hike of the Pacific Crest Trail. His book, The High Adventure of Eric Ryback, is an easy and detailed account of his southbound hike on the PCT, and it drew a lot of interest in the trail.

I had the chance to meet Eric and have him autograph my copy of his book. I even got a picture with him, but I will have to wait for my friend Teatree to send me a copy of the picture. At any rate, Eric was a very pleasant and humble man, and he was so excited to be at the Kick-Off to share his account of his thru-hike.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amazing, everyone has thought that Eric Ryback had disappeared off the face of the earth...or become a successful stock broker...inspired by his books, hope you can post the picture and additional information on his presentation, current activities etc.