Monday, November 12, 2007

Point Reyes this Weekend!

I'm off to Point Reyes National Seashore this weekend.  Woo Hoo!  I will be heading up there on Sunday with a married couple that I have gotten to know at church.  They are neophytes to the hiking/camping experience, so I hope to help them enjoy this forthcoming experience.

For those who have been to Point Reyes... GO!  Since I have lived in the Bay Area, I have traveled to Point Reyes about four times a year - I love it there.  The amazing thing is that so few people from the Bay Area take advantage of Point Reyes' proximity.  In my opinion, it is a top notch hiking and camping destination filled with history, unique geology and beauty.

From what I understand, Point Reyes is a sliver of land, whose geology most closely resembles the Tehachapi Mountains in Southern California, which is over 300-miles to the south!  What that means is that Point Reyes has been drifting northward for millions of years along the Pacific plate.  In the big 1906 earthquake, Point Reyes moved 20-feet to the north in the duration of the quake (45-seconds?).  That's pretty amazing to think about.

Point Reyes as so much more: wildlife, wildflowers, miles and miles of trails.  I can't wait to get out there.  Pictures of this hike will be posted next Wednesday.

No comments: