Monday, September 2, 2019

Pooping in the Woods

Using the Deuce of Spades #2

One of the newest pieces of gear that I carry with me is the Deuce of Spades #2. My friend Allgood turned me on to using the Deuce on a few trips, and now I am sold on its use. The Deuce can be ordered at thetentlab.com, and comes in three different weights: Deuce #1 weighs in at .45 ounces; Deuce #2 is .6 pounces; and Deuce #3 at .97 ounces. Deuce #1 is light duty, or where soil conditions make digging easy (think sand). Deuce #2 (model I am demonstrating here) might be used in woods like the Pacific Northwest where soils may have some small roots, but soil is somewhat loamy. Deuce #3 might be used in soils that are more compact or dense. The Deuce is made from "aerospace grade 7075-T6 aluminum" according to their website, comes in a range of colors, and ranges in price from $18.95 for the #1 to $24.95 for the #3. My #2 cost $19.95.



Leave No Trace ethics asks that poop be buried in a 6" to 8" deep cathole that is also 4" to 6" wide. The Deuce of Spades make this digging pretty easy. The serrated leading edge of the trowel cuts through the top surface of the soil, and can carve out small roots that get in the way of digging a hole. Remember trying to use one of those cheap Coghlan orange plastic trowels? Digging and removing soil was difficult, the size and shape did not match ultralight hiking gear, and weighs 2-ounces. The Deuce is lightweight, and its wide, curved shape is ideal for removing soil quickly and easily. 

On a recent trip to Indian Heaven Wilderness in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, I used the Deuce#2 for disposing my waste. Below is a video I made on using the Deuce to bury poop.





I recommend adding the Deuce of Spades to your hiking gear arsenal. It works! It's lightweight! And, it does a great job of disposing of your poop properly. Buy one now!


No comments: