Thursday, May 5, 2011

FIve Questions With Uncle Johnny

Back in March, I had the opportunity to sit down, and have a conversation with Uncle Johnny about his hostel right off the Appalachian Trail near Erwin, Tennessee.  I stayed at his hostel back in the early days when I used to attend the National Storytelling Festival, and I remember a time when he had plenty of room to pitch a tent on the lawn.  That lawn is now covered with cabins, as he has expanded his operations significantly.  I am happy for his prosperity.

I thought it would be great to get him on video, talking about the past, and his interaction with hikers.  Say what you want about Uncle Johnny and his strong personality, but he is an icon of the trail, and many hikers have been grateful for his services.  I know I have.

Well... here's the video, "Five Questions With Uncle Johnny."  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Take A Hike GPS said...

What a great story, and a great man. Seems like the kinda guy that would be great to sit down and have a few beers with.

Chris "Freefall" Sanderson said...

He's a good man. No doubt, he has endured controversy over the years (one year he was intentionally left out of ALDHA's Thru-Hiker's Companion to the AT). My experience's with him have always been pleasant.