Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Recent Rains in Oregon Open and Close the PCT

Photo provided by blatantgizmo on Flickr.com
While I have been away from Oregon on my small Appalachian Trail adventure, Oregon has been pounded by early rain. My friend, Sweet Potato described the rains as "monsoon-like," and he mentioned that he had some water leak into his basement. From what I have seen the rains will subside for September 21-22, just in time for my return to Oregon!

I got word from PCTA Regional Representative, Dana Berthold, that the recent rains have closed parts of the PCT around Mount Hood. In a communique to the Mt. Hood Chapter of the PCTA, Dana says:
"The heavy rains of recent days have caused new landslide activity in the Zig Zag canyon. The PCT is currently impassable to stock, and dangerous for hikers. The FS hopes to get an emergency crew out to improve the trail enough for hikers, but, for stock a more long term solution will need to be implemented, likely next summer. (This slide area is near the same spot where a new bridge to repair an older slide had just been installed.)"
It sounds like a two steps forward, and one step back situation for trail maintainers who just put in that bridge. I will be eager to know when trail crews will venture into the canyon to begin trail work, as I would be eager to jump into the action. Hmmmmm...

On the same note, I also read a report that the recent rains have re-opened the PCT in the Mount Jefferson Wilderness, which had been closed due to the Pyramid Butte Fire. Apparently, you win some, and you lose some. Safe hiking out there folks!

No comments: