Saturday, December 12, 2009

NIDO is the Way to Go!

After hiking the Continental Divide Trail, I am convinced that Nido powdered milk, which is made by Nestle, is the preferred powdered milk to buy. I first heard about Nido from Dicentra, who is a trail food guru, but I had trouble finding it. I was reminded that Nido is usually buried in the Mexican foods aisle in the grocery store, and it is nowhere near the baked goods aisle, where one will find the usual Carnation or store brand powdered milk. Although I am not a big fan of Wal-Mart, I did find it there for about $5.00 for a 14 ounce can.

Nido tastes like real milk. Forget Carnation or the store brand version of powdered milk. Even the now defunct Milkman Instant Lowfat Dry Milk (with "the kiss of cream"), which I used to enjoy on the trail, does not hold a candle to this stuff. Nido is dry whole milk, which has real milk fat in it. Apparently, one has to be conscious about keeping the stuff really dry, because if Nido get damp or wet, it can get rancid in storage. Yes, that's how true and awesome the stuff is, so keep it dry hikers, and enjoy Nido for your powdered milk on your next long-distance hike!

No comments: